Monday, March 7, 2011

Review: The Last Watcher by Misty Burke


Genre: Paranormal Romance 
Heat Level: 2 
Word Count: 27, 953 
ISBN:978-1-926950-10-5 
Purchase from: Evernight Publishing


Sarah Thompson knows what it's like to have a midlife crisis at twenty nine.  She has spent the last several years running her own yoga studio and trying to survive being single in a small gossipy town. And if that were not enough, she decides it is the perfect time to go back to school. So you see, Sarah's world was already spinning when she learns that her hunky professor has teeth … as in Vampire teeth!
This undead hero, aka Charles Underwood, introduces her to a fantastic world filled with good and evil. It is a world where Sarah learns that she is a Watcher. Her birthmark foretells a prophecy that throws her into the middle of a magical conflict where battle lines have already been drawn. Does Sarah trust this new found hero or is she just a pawn in his plans to win the war?


-----------------
The Last Watcher is a little slow and sometimes drags along. Although the story was interesting enough to keep me reading to the end. There are a few spelling mistakes and a couple of sentences where the narrative switched to first person and I had to change it in my head to keep reading. I really liked the idea of the story, and think it maybe could have been carried out a little better, but as a shorter story at 94 pages it was okay. 


Sarah is Native American and is coming into powers she knows nothing about, when she meets Charles Underwood, her sexy professor. She gets thrown into an unbelievable new world and has to deal with her role in this new life. Sarah was a spunky character, and I did like her. She was independent and liked to do things her own way. Charles is a vampire and vows to protect her. He’s the leader of a faction that doesn’t believe in their Councils pandering to the enemy. Charles is a strong character too, but I found their romance a little lacking. For me, it just didn’t sizzle like I expected or wanted it to. There is a war brewing and Sarah is pivotal to it’s success. Because the story is short, it did jump around a bit and you miss out on a lot of the action. There are a few things I also would have liked explained or just that they had a bit more back-story. 


In all the story was a little flat for me and the characters just didn't quite mesh. I can see promise in the author though and look forward to her next releases. I give it 3 out of 5.


I received this copy for review from the author.


1 comment: